As you know, this past Saturday was Valentine’s Day. Which means the day before that was Friday the 13th. Enough said.
I’ve never been big on superstitions, but Friday did not go exactly the way I — or my boyfriend — had envisioned, so I’d say it had everything to do with the “unlucky spirits” and nothing to do with us. OK, maybe a little to do with us — OK, a lot. But even though our V Day weekend didn’t start off as planned, it still turned out to be pretty special. Enough about me though.
The book trilogy-turned-film 50 Shades of Grey also hit theaters this Valentine’s Day. While I’ve read the entire series (which I can’t say I’m very proud of), I haven’t found it in my heart of hearts to go and purchase a child (of God) ticket to watch the rather corny-looking film counterpart. Besides, from what I’ve seen in the previews, the movie Christian Grey ain’t even that cute!
Anyways, in the spirit of “crazy in love” love stories, I’ve decided to create my own special rendition of 50 Shades — 15 Shades of V Day — which is pretty much a list of shenanigans that we typically see go down on V Day. Enjoy.
- Endless couples posting V Day selfies for “the Gram” (guilty), many of which either rarely/never post any pics together on a regular day, or just never go out.
- Endless singles posting selfies for no apparent reason (or to prove an unwarranted point, like the woman who married herself… I digress).
- Every restaurant and hotel in the city booked to capacity.
- Chicks posting Facebook statuses/tweets talking about what “bae” got them.
- Numerous IG pic collages of V Day gifts (including — but not limited to — flowers, giant stuffed teddy bears, Edible Arrangements, cards/love notes, etc).
- Man-bashing single chicks posting FB statuses/tweets talmbout how they love themselves more than any man could. OK, girl.
- Confident single chicks who don’t post anything because they’re too busy actually loving themselves, not being bitter and enjoying the single life (Yas!).
- Chicks lurking and stalking their ex’s (and/or ex’s new boo’s) IG/Facebook/Twitter pages to see if they posted anything new.
- Dudes dodging their sideline chicks with the “I got called into work today” line.
- Dudes breaking up with their girls to get out of buying them a gift.
- Girls getting upset at the dudes who actually did buy a gift, just not the one the girl was expecting.
- Inevitable “surprise” proposals.
- Unexpected breakups.
- Lots of red and pink balloons.
- And lots of conceived children (hence the overabundance of November-December babies).
Anything I miss??