Mother’s Day just passed, aka the day everyone goes to brunch, takes a cute pic with their mom and posts it on social media with some long, drawn out caption expressing their love and appreciation for the woman who gave them life. Now I don’t wanna rain on y’all mamas’ parades, but Andrea Elizabeth Winters is hands down the greatest to ever do it because she’s so much more to me than my mother.
So I just wanted to quickly run down a list of all the things my mom has been to me over the past 27 years:
- Doctor/Nurse/Physical Therapist: When I was struggling with myositis, this woman literally nursed me all the way back to health. From making sure I was eating right to helping me get out of the bed, cleaned and dressed because I was too weak to do any of those things on my own, she was my rock.
- Counselor: I don’t need Iyanla to fix my life with this shawty in my corner. She literally gives the best advice for any situation and she always gets me together.
- Chef: She may not cook as much as she used to, but my mama THROWS DOWN in the kitchen. Fried chicken, corn pudding, yams, pound cake, you name it.
- Motivational Speaker/Life Coach: My mama has gotten me through some very rough days. From years ago when I was sick to recent days of feeling like I’m not exactly where I need to be, my mother is always encouraging and speaking every ounce of life into me.
- Psychic: My sister and I always joke about how crazy this lady’s intuition is. It’s scary, y’all. For example: I used to smoke weed in college (surprise!). So I was smoking with some friends one day when my mom calls. I answer, talk to her briefly, and then hang up the phone. The next morning she calls and tells me she couldn’t sleep the entire night because something in her spirit was telling her that I was getting high. WHAT. Let me remind y’all that we were literally on the phone for all of two minutes, Let me also remind y’all that I was alllllllll the way in DC and she was in Michigan at the time of this two-minute conversation. I was so shook by her psychic abilities that I couldn’t even lie about it.
- Financial Consultant: Aside from being a full-time accountant, my mom is also my personal financial consultant. She makes sure I stay on track with my budget and savings, and has no problem checking me when I start slipping. So if any of y’all need someone to help you stay on track with your finances, check my mom out.
- Marketing/PR Expert: This woman is full of the most amazing ideas and is always telling me and my sister different ways to market ourselves and expand our platforms.
- Security Guard: She is my shield and protection from anything and anyone who she sees being a threat to me. Like she is a literal quiet storm.
- Nutritionist: When I tell y’all this lady researched and mixed together every single health concoction she could find when I was struggling with dermatomyositis, I’m not even joking. Of course she made sure I took my medicine too, but she had her own little health regimen mapped out for me and I wound up healing much quicker than the doctor had expected.
- Prayer Warrior: Always praying over me, encouraging me and sending me the perfect scriptures for whatever circumstances I may be facing.
So to Andrea Elizabeth Winters, my amazing mother who wears many, many hats, thank you for being my Superwoman. I love you so much and I pray that one day I will be half the wife and mother you are.
And to all my family and friends who are celebrating motherhood, I salute you all!