In case you didn’t know, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. The #ThanksgivingWithBlackFamilies hashtag made it extra special this year. For the past few days I’ve been bursting out in random spurts of ugly cackles as I witnessed all the hilarious but extremely accurate memes on my news feed. For your relentless lack of chill, Black Twitter, I am forever grateful.
Per usual, we had dinner at my house. But we didn’t have all the family over this year, so we actually still have enough leftovers to last us through the next week or so (’cause y’all know Thanksgiving dinner = breakfast + lunch + dinner for the next five to seven days).
Anyway, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because of what it represents: family and gratitude. During this time, we often list off all the wonderful, important things we’re grateful for, like life, health, family, food, clothes and shelter. But I’d like to take this time to recognize the smaller things that I hold dear to my heart. So, here goes:
- Mint hot chocolate: Liquid euphoria. A warm, cozy blend of minty, milky, chocolaty perfection. I’ve never tasted anything so heavenly since…ever. To the sweet Asian lady who runs the coffee shop in my job’s office building, thank you for making each cup with love.
- My hairbrush and silk scarf: If you are a Black woman, you cherish these two utensils like gold. But we never really appreciate them until we decide to crash at a friend’s house after a late night out and realize we don’t have anything to wrap our hair with.
- Baby oil gel: Now that it’s getting colder outside, I need this more than ever. No matter how much lotion I throw on my legs and feet, once that Michigan wind hit them bad boys, it’s over. If it weren’t for Johnson & Johnson’s baby oil gel, my toes would be looking like snowball cookies.
- My car seat warmers: Aside from getting me from Point A to Point B, there is nothing I appreciate more about my car than my seat warmers. Some people need leather interior, some people need 24-inch rims. I need seat warmers.
- My multipurpose Tupac shirt: It works well as a nightgown or a cute top to wear with leggings and a leather jacket. And it has Tupac on it. #Thuglife
- Google Maps: Where would I be without Google Maps? No, but seriously doe.
- Uber: The world’s number one designated driver. The one thing that makes me feel like I’m Diddy on a budget. Thank you.
- The B-list Black movies on Netflix: My diamonds in the rough. They may be low budget, but they’re entertaining with a great story line.
- Black Twitter: For your relentless lack of chill, thank you.
- My favorite pair of boots: You know that one pair of shoes you can wear with anything? That’s these bad boys: the real MVPs.
For all of these things, I am forever grateful.